Terrazzo is made of marble and Portland cement. It has a glazed look and there are tiny pieces of marble encased in the tile. This tech help will cover general maintenance, sealing, and finishing terrazzo flooring. This kind of flooring is NOT similar to quarry tile. If you have further questions on this kind of flooring, please contact a Jon-Don representative.
Directions for General Maintenance:
- Set out wet floor signs.
- Mop floor with Unitex Daily Clean diluted at 1 cup to 3 gallons of water, or StoneTech Tile and Stone Cleaner diluted at 2-4 oz per gallon of water.
- Allow floor to air dry or speed drying with an air mover.
Directions for Sealing:
- Make sure surface is dry for 6-12 hours before sealing, unless using StoneTech Heavy Duty Sealer, which can be applied after 1 hour.
- With a mop, microfiber pad, roller, or paint pad, spread undiluted StoneTech Heavy Duty Sealer. Make sure product is spread evenly throughout the complete floor.
- When surface begins to dry within 15-30 minutes, spread remaining sealer across the surface and remove excess sealer by wiping with clean dry towel. Note: Second coat may be needed, apply after 30-40 minutes after first coat, following same directions.
- After final coat wait 30-40 minutes and then wipe off excess sealer from the surface with a clean dry terry cloth towel.
- If excess dries on the surface, reapply more sealer onto the surface and wipe off after 2-3 minutes with a clean dry cloth towel or white nylon pad.
Directions for Finishing:
- Make sure floor is clean and free of any old finish.
- Apply Unitex Reflection undiluted to floor using a rayon mop, microfiber mop, or lambswool applicator. Spread product evenly over entire floor.
- A very porous floor may require several coats.